The ElementTree Library Handbook (Work In Progress)
The ElementTree library provides convenient and effient access to data stored in XML files and similar structures. The library provides two basic data types:
The Element type is a simple but flexible container object, designed to store hierarchical data structures, such as simplified XML infosets, in memory. The element type can be described as a cross between a Python list and a Python dictionary.
The ElementTree wrapper type represents an XML document. It adds code to load XML files as trees of Element objects, and save them back again.
For more information about the ElementTree library, see this page.
Note: This handbook is a work in progress. When finished, will provide a detailed description of the ElementTree library. The current draft focusses on the upcoming 1.3 release, but will be extended to cover also the 1.2.6 release that’s included in Python 2.5.
- Outline (Work in Progress) [outline-index]
- The ElementTree Module (Work In Progress) [elementtree]
- The Element API (Work in Progress) [elementtree-element]
- The ElementTree API (Work In Progress) [elementtree-elementtree]
- The TreeBuilder API [elementtree-treebuilder]
- The XMLParser API [elementtree-xmlparser]
- The XMLTreeBuilder API [elementtree-xmltreebuilder]
- Glossary [glossary]
- Incremental Parsing [iterparse]